Vanilla is one of the most recognizable and popular flavorings in the world. Our Tahitian Vanilla can be found in a variety of forms: the whole bean, extract, powder, and paste. We are going to explore the least known form, ground vanilla bean powder. Remember, vanilla is the salt of the baking world. Where salt is used to bring out essential savory flavors, vanilla enhances natural sweetness.
What is ground Tahitian vanilla bean powder? Glad you asked! There are two types, the first is pure vanilla beans that have been dried and ground to a powder (like ours). The second is dried and ground beans that have added sugar (sucrose, dextrose, or maltodextrin. etc.) and possibly other additives (silicon dioxide, cornstarch, evaporated cane juice, silica, cellulose and the like). Our Ground Tahitian Vanilla Powder is made of pristine, freeze-dried Tahitian beans that have been ground to a fine powder. That is all! There are no additives or fillers of any kind whatsoever in our powder.
When to use ground Tahitian vanilla bean powder. Many baking recipes call for a mixture of dry ingredients that are added to wet ingredients. Use ground powder in the dry ingredients and use extract or paste in wet ingredients.
Benefits of ground Tahitian vanilla bean powder. Ground vanilla bean powder has unique properties. Because our ground powder is unadulterated, it retains pure Tahitian vanilla flavor very well. Unlike vanilla extract, ground vanilla powder contains no alcohol. Because our ground powder has no added sugar, it works well for diabetics and those who are avoiding sugar, starch and carbohydrates. Our ground powder is the rich, dark brown color of vanilla beans, not light like cornstarch or sugar, so it will blend in easily with dark ingredients such as chocolate. Ground vanilla bean powder yields a strong vanilla flavor.
Do-It-Yourself ground vanilla bean powder. It is so easy to make your own vanilla bean powder. Simply chop dessicated beans and grind them in a coffee grinder or herb mill. If your beans have a little moisture that makes it difficult to grind, leave them out in the air for a day or two and grind again. The drier the bean, the finer the powder.
Suggested uses of ground Tahitian vanilla bean powder
- In baking - use in dry mixes (think homemade hot chocolate mix or pancake mix), breads, frostings, icing, and buttercreams, or sprinkle on top of cakes, cookies or doughnuts
- When cooking - easily mixes in liquid without clumping, use in sauces
- In desserts - add to chocolates, meringues, custards, ice creams, and gelatos
- In beverages - add to coffee, tea, hot cocoa, smoothies, protein shakes, cocktails
- On fruit - sprinkle vanilla on fresh fruit instead of sugar
- Other uses - flavor sugar, salt, butter, nut butter, oil, lemon curd
Equivalencies – How much Ground Vanilla Bean Powder to Use. Substitute any of the following for each other with confidence:
- 2 inches Tahitian of a vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon Tahitian vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon Tahitian vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Tahitian vanilla bean powder
So there you have it. Now you know all about ground Tahitian vanilla bean powder. Now go bake something with the intoxicating scent of vanilla and make wonderful memories for your children, grandchildren or anyone you love.
Bake With Love. Bake with Vanilla From Tahiti.
Buy Vanilla From Tahiti Online Now